Saturday, October 6, 2012

Trekking the Gorge at the Elephant Carve

Oct 6, 2012

The Elephant Cave Temple dates back to the mid 11th c.  

There are many steps leading from the parking lot to the temple which is about one quarter of the way down to the river. We have often visited the temple. This time I told Pam that I was feeling healthier  then I have felt in many hears. It was time to test my body. She agreed and we set of at sunrise to trek to the river at the bottom of the gorge.h


The first part of the descent down to the river is through the partially restored temple.


Leaving the temple we began our descent down into the gorge.


After the restored temple the path was cut into the side of the gorge. It truly was a trip back in time and into the depth of mother nature.  

As we descended the sound of the rushing river became like a song beckoning us onward.


Along the way we passed many stone carving, shrines and temples.  

Our feeling was as if we were going back into time to the 11th c.


Reaching the river the sun was just beginning to light the water and the river and nature around us was bathed in the soft glow of morning first light. 











We quickly slipped in to a deep open focused meditation observing 
the beauty of all that was around us.












When it came time to start back I realize that I had completed the trek down with out any fear or need to stop and rest. With that  I jumped for joy in celebration of the new strength, health and peace that was inside of me.

With the joy of health I led the way back up at a good pace and only had to stop to rest for a moment....once. I then realized that this was the first time in over 20 years that I was in Bali and there was nothing that needed to be healed within me.

Yea for the gift of being alive.......healthy and filled with passion.   







3 comments:

  1. You look like that kid in "The Karate Kid" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trying to look like him but the age of my joints would not cooperate.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete